Welcome to Hemyock Sunday, May 26 2024 @ 03:40 pm UTC

St Mary's Church

Hemyock Parish Church occupies a central position in the village, alongside Hemyock Castle. Viewed from the main gate, the tower, the clock and the sundial may be seen, together with part of the Castle and our two very ancient yew trees. The piers that support the gates are of interest too, the stones from which they were built are "whetstone", dug on the Blackdown Hills, and traditionally used for sharpening scythes and hooks. The church is built of local flints and cherts.

The first written record dates from the year 1268, but it is obvious that parts of the building are much older. Remains of Norman arches may be seen in the interior walls of the tower and it would appear that the first church on the site was cruciform in shape with the tower at the centre. Originally the church had a spire on top of the tower, but it was removed in the late 1600’s and may be the reason why the present tower is not very high.

The church has had its dedication changed several times. In the 1400’s it was St Mary’s, after the reformation St. George was the patron saint, by the mid 1700’s it was St. Peter’s and it reverted to St. Mary’s in the 1760’s

Inside the building, the bowl of the font dates back to 1200. The southern aisle was formally a chantry dedicated to St. Katherine. On the west wall are the lists of the village charities, together with a list of the “Dog Whippers”.

The Church is an interesting well-maintained building, in a very socially active and friendly village, it is well worth a visit.

for more information visit our website

See the Friends of St Mary's pages for more information about the Friends.

Contact Information

Priest in Charge: The Reverend Canon Becky Totterdell

The Rectory, Hemyock, EX15 3RQ

 01823 681520 or ucvmissionrector@gmail.com

Administrator: Hilary Clements (available Thursday mornings, 9.30am to 12.30pm)

07495 639826 or ucvmission@gmail.com

Church Wardens: David Bawler (01823 680352) and Jenny Doble (01823 680174)

Ringers: Mrs L Holway (01823 680708)

Secretary: Brian Samuels (01823 664729)

Church Rooms
St Mary's Church rooms can be hired for parties or regular bookings.
If interested please contact Janice Bawler 01823 680352. jbawler1947@hotmail.co.uk
Private Functions only £8 per hour or Regular Bookings £5.50 per hour


Benefice Away Day

  • Contributed by:
  • Views: 1,291
St Mary's Church

Becky and the ministry team invite all church members to join the PCCs in a Benefice away day on 8 Feb. We will be thinking about our calling as churches in this Benefice, especially about how we can reach out to our communities with the good news of God’s love for them.


Val Retires After 10 Years As Sacristan At St Mary's

  • Contributed by:
  • Views: 987
St Mary's Church

At the end of the 24th November morning service at St Mary's church, Hemyock Mrs Valerie (Val) White was presented with a beautiful floral bouquet by Jenny Doble, a Churchwarden.Thanking Val for her 10 years service as Sacristan David Bawler, Churchwarden announced that following the retirement of Val the post would be taken over by Mrs Diana Cooper but appealed for anyone else who would be willing to be trained and stand in when needed.


Welcome Our New Rector!

  • Contributed by:
  • Views: 1,395
St Mary's Church

The parish church of St Mary's Hemyock has held the service to welcome their newest Rector Rev Canon Rebecca (Becky) Totterdell to the Upper Culm Valley Mission Community. Rev Totterdell had previously ministered at Exeter Cathedral.The service taken by the Bishop of Crediton, The Rt Rev Jackie Searle saw a full church with over 130 attending.